Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Pictures from God: God's Purpose fulfilled in All Humans


Today I carefully touch on the testy, perplexing topic of pre-destination and free will. As of now I do not understand that. And I know a lot of people don’t. I am fine with not understanding that right now. Faith can mean not understanding everything as sometimes you feel you should.

But something else I have thought through and understand a little better comes from the verse “The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me.” Ps. 138:8, that in connection with pre-destination. David meant himself when he said “me,” but that can apply to anyone just as the Bible does.

So I know in my heart and own life that will be true. Somehow He will reign in His purposes despite my weaknesses, straying and failures throughout life, what He pre-planned for my purpose to me will be achieved. Whatever good He plans to do through me, whatever works He wants to do through me in particular, it will be done.

“You created my innermost being…Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before they came to be.” Ps. 139: 13, 16. Ah, pre-destination.

How can God’s good purpose be fulfilled in those who either fall away from Him or deny Him from the beginning? He does give a purpose for every human born on this earth, right?

I longed to know, somehow: how God’s purpose could be fulfilled in each human. Mostly I thought of someone I knew well and loved who no longer ascribes to the faith, but has denied God. Why did I want to know that so badly? I realized that it was because I knew that these purposes would please God. What is the ultimate thing in life but to please, glorify God in some way. Glorify Him with some act of love, kindness, some achievement that gives Him credit. Something that shows His presence in this world, in this person’s life, however depraved it is. I wanted to know that this person I so dearly loved would have the chance to do at least that.

I would also add that communion with God is right up there next to glorification of God which leads to pleasing Him. But communion requires belief, I feel, therefore harder to be entirely equivalent to glorification of God in life.

I now comprehended in my heart (not sure of this truth, but somehow it rings true) that undoubtedly our human nature is sinful. We are born in sin and we die because of sin. But even humans so evil as Hitler or those terrorists, did they not have a speck of goodness in their life? Perhaps it was in their childhood before they became so depraved, harnessing evil in the worst way. Perhaps it was one act of helping an elderly person or saying a kind remark to a dejected child. Perhaps it went quite un-thought-of and in a blink of an eye. But in that moment, in that small precious way, God was glorified. Was that person a believer? Was he “chosen,” “ordained” for God’s brethren? Perhaps not. But that person showed even Satan could not wipe out every second of a person’s life and actions with evil. Not one person.


And perhaps, that was God’s “purpose being fulfilled” for time’s history. Perhaps that one act of kindness changed the life of this one child who later went onto glorify and carry out God’s works in a big way or they helped another in a small way, much as they were helped, and the chain linked on. God’s ultimate plan for us all, linked together by small acts of goodness by each person, believing or unbelieving, depraved for 99.9% of their lives or truly righteous in God’s eyes that could result in big one, monumental ones. Because there is that example of goodness, that definition of goodness that everyone knows in their hearts whether they ascribe to it, act in it or not.

Maybe communion with God is not fulfilled in everyone. That takes belief. But one act of goodness does not take belief. Miraculously enough.

I do not understand pre-destination with the combination of free will. But I do know that faced with the truth that many will perish without having known God…at least His purpose was and will be fulfilled, even in them. And that means that at one point in time, they would have glorified Him, even if they did not acknowledge they were doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment