Fighting: Idols—Unsatisfying
Idols. Another favorite subject for us all. Growing up, I
thought of idols as those scary, crazy gods worshipped by pagans. I thought of
idols like Baal in the Bible or any of the other numerous ones introduced to
Israel by foreigners.
Now, I’ve come to realize, of course, a more basic definition
is: anything that takes the forefront of your mind, attention, sometimes
affections, daily actions, sometimes beliefs and viewpoints. And indeed that
can be a foreign, false god. Or it can be more seemingly harmless things that
creep into our lives without it being obviously detrimental. Job, relationships
(all inclusive), money, image and appearance, success, personal items and
things, media and all its influences, etc…. Even activities. Even personal
ministries.
My idols are always changing. When I think I get rid of one
or two, I pick up some more without realizing it. It’s a human cycle that we
are always struggling to fight even in wisest of us. It is the struggle to let
our minds drift to cling onto tangible, visible things or our own goals, what
may start out as a genuinely good, valuable work can take over as an idol, getting
in the way of God and His rightful place as your foremost thought and value in
life, your foremost affection.
There are countless reasons why only God should stand in
front of everything, have that powerful position in your life. All are laid out
across the Bible.
Perhaps the core ones that mean the most to me right now and
reinforce my focus are these:
Dependability.
Everything can fall apart. You may rest on one thing, but nothing will remain
dependable until the end like God. This is proclaimed by so many in the Bible. Ps.
62:6, a famous verse, “He only is my rock and salvation, my stronghold; I shall
not be shaken.”
Wisdom. “With Him are wisdom and might; to Him belong
counsel and understanding.” Job 12:13. There are foolish things out there to be
idolized, and even wise, discerning things…but wisdom ultimately comes from
God. And anything other than God will eventually run out of wisdom and
understanding.
Intimacy. Not only does He know every part of you, past,
present and future, He wants to be close to you, to commune with you. Not only
does He know every fiber of your potential and glory He created in you, He is
by your side the most, sees all that you suffer, all your joys, all that you
wish sometimes others could see and understand.
Love. Wow. Just that. He is Love. He created it, he gives
it, he knows it better than anyone, he knows the truth of love and not the definition
of it juggled around by many humans across time. He gives it in the most
all-powerful, eternal, yet tenderly gentle way. Anyone who knows it could write
endlessly about it.
The most recent one today that God spoke to me about was
satisfaction. Once I comprehended that simple statement, I felt stupid for not
grasping that.
“He will always provide for your needs and satisfy your soul
beyond all you could ask or imagine.”
I read that and it filled me up in that wonderful way when
you realize more of God’s glory. Nothing will satisfy me like God can. The
marvelous thing more was the phrasing of that statement. It not only says that
you will be satisfied, but there is the capacity to be satisfied even further
than how much you believe you need to be satisfied.
Satisfaction is a perfect combination to along with that “peace
that passes all understanding” and untouchable joy that I’ve grown in. That
carries me through the worst and the best. That makes each day, mundane or
wonderful, stressed or relaxed (preferably the latter) a joy, a miracle, a
blessing. I am satisfied because of God. Because how He teaches me to be at
peace, to have joy, to be satisfied in Him or whatever He gives me. Because He
gives me something every day. Even if it’s just waking up to a bird singing
outside my window (in a noisy, sketchy, chaotic, city neighborhood). That bird
is God’s creation, so small and yet untouched by any of this environment.
Beautiful, reminding me that I have another day blessed to me by God to expect
more joys from Him, more understanding to be learned from Him, and it’s with
song, something my musician’s heart loves most. He knows this. He knows just
what touches me.
And so, in the midst of my distractions with idols. I have
simple statements I apply.
_______ can never give me the ______ I seek. (or take away
the _______ I have.)
Some I have my heart on and have stated to myself sometimes over and over again:
_______ can never give me the love and devotion I seek or take
away all the loneliness I have. (this all encompasses my need for many things
not just company or care but affirmation, approval, etc…)
______ can never give me success that I seek because if it’s
of my own human efforts alone I will fail.
Sleep/TV time/restful activities can never give me all the
rest and peace I need. Only God has the power to restore me mentally, emotionally
and physically in a 100% capacity not in a 45% capacity or just for the day…and
He can do it even in a second.
No comments:
Post a Comment