Eph.
1:18-19
“I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so
that you may know…what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who
believe.”
I read that today and a hard time with it. And one main
problem arose in my mind that I struggled with:
If God chooses to give that to me,
what would that look like in my life? What does that look like in the lives of
others who have chosen to believe? I think of “great” people and I think of
course of Paul who changed so many lives through his works. He was great. But
what about those who in history and today do not receive much credit for their
greatness? Maybe they are great but their greatness is not celebrated famously.
Is that still “great?”
In my life,
I realized recently, as I’ve been discussing with God, my need for confirmation
in order to feel successful or noteworthy, inspiring, great, etc… So much so
that it is hard for me be satisfied or enjoy anything, private or public, if I
am not confirmed by at least one person (preferably more) in the area. Recently
it has been with composing. I write something and even if I finish it and really
finish it after some editing, I am still not quite satisfied. I try to voice my
emotions/thoughts over a specific thing in the piece and it pretty much comes
out, but the style, that style I can hear through each song whatever it is
about. And it’s my style. Unfortunately, I do not entirely like it right now. I
could never really understand why, when I finished that song, I was still not
satisfied with it. In fact in general I am unsatisfied with my compositions. I
realized later that it is because no one has confirmed it with any adjectives
like “inspiring” or “beautiful” or “unique, but good” so how can I be
satisfied? (not saying this is logical) I have been confirmed in my piano
playing, for instance, or my fashion and so I am satisfied and enjoy them no
matter if they are successful or not.
Apparently
some part of me which is never really admitted to the larger part of me needs
that confirmation. And I wish that I could enjoy something, think well of it as
pleasing until to the Lord and not be unfulfilled in private or public
endeavors.
How does
this apply? Well what if I am never confirmed as “great,” never truly
recognized, as some aren’t. Does that make all of us middling?
And then
God said to me: “Do you have to be recognized by humans in order to be deemed ‘great’?
Can you not believe I have given you this surpassing power as I have said, and believe
that you have it? Many seem weak but they are strong. You know this. ‘For when
[you] are weak, [you] are strong.’ (2 Cor. 12:10b) Faith is believing in what
is unseen and unheard. I am teaching you another lesson of faith, and you also
wanted to learn to not need confirmation for contentment in your abilities, I am
teaching you that. Believe that you have greatness and My power and go forward.”
I may or may not be ever recognized for any “greatness” but
faith in what He gives should sustain me. He said He would give, so He will.
So what does that look like? What if right now I am not
doing anything splendid? Not raising up churches or performing miracles?
(example only) Joseph was in jail for years before he ever set about God’s work
actively. So was he not great while sitting in jail? Were those years wasted?
No, greatness can be just pleasing and glorifying God every day, in everything
you do.
I never thought about it-- was Joseph "great" all those years while he was sitting in prison? He was definitely the same great man in prison that he was later. He had already proven himself trustworthy, honest, intelligent; he interpreted dreams... what do you think?
ReplyDeleteYou've given me a lot to think about here. You always do! :)
I suppose it depends on your definition of what is "great." what he was doing at the time was not momumental, unlike later in his history. Sitting in jail? How is that monumentally changing anything? And yet, if you think greatness entails making monumental changes/actions, are we supposed to believe that because he then wasn't "great" he must not have been believing? This belief God says to have for you to have His power? It probably wasn't in God's timing for anything monumental to happen then...does that mean we are only great when God times it right? What about the other times when we still have great faith and belief? I think monumental changes that generally may be defined as making someone "great" like displayed in Joseph's later life are the greatness in someone being brought forth, bursting in full power, due to God's will in His plan for this world and Joseph's life. But he is great though it may be more inward and only reflected in small ways outwardly. God sees the heart and He would know its greatness, if it were truly that, whereas man might not see that greatness if it is contained just then in the heart and not bursting out just yet.
ReplyDeleteBut if we could see the heart more in full as God does perhaps then we would not cling to a definition of outward monumental changes required in order to be "great" but that we would see both sides of greatness, inside and outside
ReplyDelete